Kalroy Was Here

Eighth man from Adam, an artificer of metals

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Put up or Shut up

Okay, Uncle Jimbo, over at Madison has a post that I found both illuminating and entertaining. With lines like this:

OK now anyone still wanting to run their mouth, detail to me the training you have conducted in evacuating Non-Combatants from war or disaster zones. Tell me about the logistical coordinations you made to allow helicopters to operate far from their bases with mechanics and fuel. Explain to me how you organized engineering crews to open roads allowing the first vehicles to approach on the ground.

Regale me with the training you have given state and local police in many areas how to respond to a terrorist attack and deal with the chaotic aftermath. How to maintain public order and ensure that a lawless state does not develop. Talk about the Emergency Response plans you have consulted on and the training exercises and evaluations you have conducted to see how robust our capabilities really are.

Great, now that Jesse Jackson, Robert Kennedy, and Michael Moore and damn near everybody else have sat down they also need to STFU!

I mean, how can you go wrong with that? No, he's not curtailing free speech, he's curtailing idiot speech. The type of speech that I've heard a lot of in my life. It's not that we don't have the freedom to speak our minds in America (barring certain exceptions) but that doesn't make our opinions valid. Just being able to speak doesn't mean you are free from criticism, or that you have the right to be heard. No one needs to listen, and no one needs to let you go unchallenged. Frankly, if you're opinion is invalid then I don't really need to waste my time with you. I'm not saying that you have to be an expert to opine, but at least have some knowledge of what you speak of and, more importantly, understand your ignorance of the subject (and that one includes all "experts").

Kalroy