Kalroy Was Here

Eighth man from Adam, an artificer of metals

Sunday, August 21, 2005

The Dread Pirate Kristy McNichol

Huge crush back in the day. At least that is how I vaguely recall it. Today I watched an old movie and enjoyed it more for having let the years pass. It's still a ridiculous goofy movie.

Yes, today I watched The Pirate Movie. I had a crush on Kristy McNichol, and watching the movie again I can see why. She was a total babe back in '83 and I was 14 or 15, so heck yeah. The movie is a tad raunchier than I recall, probably oweing to my not having the, ummmm, experience to understand some of the (heck, most of) the innuendo present. Even more fun this time around.

At the time I also had no idea who Ken Annakin was, even though I loved his movies. This was before I knew who he was as a director, and before I knew of his influence on Darth Vader. The funny part is that he sprinkled some Star Wars references, and outright tributes in this movie. Though I was familliar with Gilbert and Sullivan, it was only because of a cartoon called Dick Deadeye. This led me to the impetus behind this movie, The Pirates of Penzance.

All in all I loved the movie and my family enjoyed it, though for them this was their first time seeing it.

If you get a chance, watch it the ridiculous thing.

Kalroy