Kalroy Was Here

Eighth man from Adam, an artificer of metals

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Busy Busy Busy

Well, here’s an update, and my lame excuse for not writing more. As some of you know (some meaning three, the sum total of readers of this blog minus my son) I ruptured my Achilles tendon back in April and had to have it repaired. I was supposed to have started my new job back in April and hurt myself at work a day before I was supposed to leave. Since then I have been bed, and then couch ridden, with my bad leg elevated.

About three weeks ago I was finally able to hobble around without my crutches and decided it was time to go back to work. Firstly because disability payments cut what money we had to eat with drastically, and secondly because I was concerned about how long my new employer (or rather the hiring official) would hold my position open for me. I know the guy, and the truth is that he would probably have held the position open for me another month, at which point I’d have been walking better, but I was already feeling bad about having to start three months later than planned, and I didn’t want to have to put him on the spot where he would be forced to close the position. So I took the occupational physical and passed. The work is less strenuous, in that I don’t have to put on the bubble suit with a tank on my back, and I believe the doctor understood that the tendon will get back to 100%.

So I’ve been working regular shifts these last two weeks, and coming home tired, sore and sweaty. Like I said, it’s a lame excuse, and not a real solid reason.

So about the job. It’s wonderful being back in aerospace. It’s wonderful hearing the sound of freedom all day at work. It’s wonderful seeing cool aircraft. The most wonderful thing is to be home with my family again.

Now if only I could start getting paid and finish all the silly in-processing.

Kalroy