Kalroy Was Here

Eighth man from Adam, an artificer of metals

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Hidden WMDs

I read an Air Force report (might have been a press release) sent to an aquaintance today. Seems that some divers off Delaware found an old artillery shell. They called the authorities who called Dover AFB.

EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) went to take care of it. They cracked the shell and one of the EOD guys was exposed to blister agent. As far as they can tell it is an old WWI chemical weapon shell.

Mustard is a known carcinogen, so this guy will have this hanging over him for the rest of his life. Not to mention the blistering, and the photos I saw were pretty nasty.

Dunno if this will make the news at all. I'm outside Baltimore, just a stone's throw from the Aberdeen Proving grounds, and haven't noticed anything locally or nationally. Though I haven't been making incredible effort to look for it either.

Kalroy

Update.
Okay, there's some confusion now, probably on my part. Articles online I've found say that these were found in crushed shells at poultry farms. Monday I'm going to go ahead and get a copy of the release and read the entire dang thing instead of just being grossed out by the photos.


'Nother Update:
Finally got a copy of the USAF release. Gonna read it and find out more now.