Kalroy Was Here

Eighth man from Adam, an artificer of metals

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The Governator

I just watched Arnold Schwarzenegger give his speech at the Republican National Convention. I liked it. I liked what he said about immigration, opportunity, our military, the war on terror, and America's perseverance. I loved what he said about not having to agree with all the Republican platform points. I'm sure not everyone liked it, but as a "South Park Republican" and a neo-con I liked it. It was a point the Democrats failed to make, and should have, but I doubt that many of them are familliar with their party's actual platform.

Governor Schwarzenegger related how he chose to be a Republican. It was after having seen Richard M. Nixon speak. I'm sure this relation will be harped on by his adversaries. Because of C-Span 2, I've actually been able to see Nixon's speech at the 1968 RNC. It's incredibly impressive and I can see how it affected him. I'm glad I did get to see him speak since Nixon is of little actual interest to me and I wouldn't have gotten to see that side of his history. In fact the only part of Nixon's history I actually know is the bad stuff, now I know a bit more and that helped put a bit more perspective on Arnold Schwarzenegger's speech.

He's also a dang good speaker. Better than I had known. I had assumed he would be, but when I was living in California I never got to see an entire speech by him. It simply wasn't a priority for the broadcast news there. I got to see soundclips and snippets of his speeches, but I'm guessing there was too much in the state more important than the recall at the time. God forbid we should miss a re-run of Everybody Loves Raymond, or That 70's Show in order to show any of the speeches by those running at the time.

He spoke more than a few words about the military and our men and women in the military. Arnold Schwarzenegger never served in the US military. He's not an American veteran. He did, however, serve his time in the Austrian Army (tank driver, Graz Tank Unit Panzer Battalion); compulsory service there. Oh, and he went AWOL. Yup Arnold Schwarzenegger went AWOL from the Austrian Army; why? To compete in a body building tournament. He didn't desert. He went back, got put in the brig, and was then allowed to compete officially. Having won the Junior Mr. Europe competition with a perfect score probably helped mitigate his problem. I don't know how it is in the Austrian Army but from my experience in life I'd bet that the old sayings of, "Nothing succeeds like success," and "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission," probably works there too.

Kalroy

Update: Oh, and public speaking and humorous interpretation do not seem to be strong points for the Bush girls (I think I just like using that phrase). I don't know exactly what they said, because I couldn't much stand watching them.

Update: Here's a page with a Feed of The Governator I found last night. Hopefully it'll still work by the time ya'll read this.