Kalroy Was Here

Eighth man from Adam, an artificer of metals

Wednesday, October 08, 2003

I voted yes on Prop. 54 yesterday. I almost voted no, not because I planned to, but because the wording on the ballot made it seem as if voting no meant that I didn't want racial information. Now I'm not a rocket scientist, but I'm hardly an idiot or a rube, and yet I had a problem with that part of the ballot for almost a full two seconds.

Here's the thing, if I had a problem with it then what about the people who didn't bother to re-read the question? What about the people who haven't had to take poorly worded tests for decades?

I'm finding it difficult to believe that a state that has voted to make a more color-blind society would suddenly reverse course while voting to fire Gray Davis and electing 'Ah-Nold.'


Then again, I could be in denial.

Kal