Kalroy Was Here

Eighth man from Adam, an artificer of metals

Wednesday, July 10, 2002

Broken Army

Winds of War linked to an interesting piece entitled, How to Fix My Army:. This brought to mind an essay by Col. David Hackworth entitled The March of the Porcelain Soldiers. Sean D. Naylor's article (taken from The Army Times) outlines proposals by Maj. Don Vandergriff to overhaul the US Army. I found his proposals pretty common-sensical, and noticed parallels that I used to bitch about in the Air Force (why should guys who go to squadron car washes get promoted before those who go to seminars on their trade?). They are both sobering articles that left me shaking my head and muttering under my breath "uh-huh, uh-huh, aw hell." Many of the proposals made by Major Vandergriff made me recall the writings of Robert Heinlein (Starship Troopers), John Dalmas aka John Robert Jones (The Regiment), and David Drake (Hammer's Slammers).

Between the two articles I doubt I could say anything that would constructively add to the situation or to those respective articles, so I'll leave it at that and simply recommend both articles.


Kal