Kalroy Was Here

Eighth man from Adam, an artificer of metals

Friday, June 28, 2002

See, I'm still not getting it.
Middle-East Realities has this little blurb about how today's Gay Pride Pararde in Tel Aviv is going.
It seems to me that the Democratic party and liberals in general are very interested in issues affected gay and lesbians (ahem, so are one heck of a lot of conservatives, but let's ignore them for a minute). Considering that there is a Gay Pride parade going on in Tel Aviv, yet in many Muslim country's the closest thing they have is a big "Drop a wall on the infidel homo" parties; here's my question, Why?

Why would anyone who supports gay rights support culture, religion, and governments who still stone gays to death? We're talking about a people whose idea of public works is building the walls to knock down on people who are gay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as homophobic as anyone else, I still get really grossed out by two guys with mustaches making out (okay even without the facial hair). But to even consider smackin' someone because they're gay, let alone killing them, is utterly reprehensible. So why are so many bastions of gay rights supporting the point of view of Islamists and Palestinian Arabs, over those of America and Israel? I just don't get it.

Oh, and as an aside, I'm wondering how American Jews who support Israel are beginning to feel about their traditional Democratic leanings and support of the SFSU/Berkeley/etc culture.



Kal