Kalroy Was Here

Eighth man from Adam, an artificer of metals

Friday, April 12, 2002

Court Martial Changes Issued

For civillians morale is a minor non-issue. For the military it has often been the difference between life and death. Frankly, in nine years, I have never seen anyone charged for adultery in a court martial. I recall two incidences when it should have been. Did failure to prosecute hurt morale in either of those cases? Most certainly. Not for the adulterous wives, or the airmen they had ongoing affairs with. I'll tell you, though, it was a pain in the ass for my shop. People's lives depend on doing a good and professional job, and these men continued to do that. They were professional enough to put out quality work, even though they were like the walking dead.

It angered and hurt them. It angered me. It angered our shop chief. It angered the other workers in our shop. About the only military personnel who weren't angered was the Commander, the First Sargeant (whose friend was the adulterer) and the wives. Did this hurt morale? Oh yeah. Though heresay, I heard it also hurt morale in the guy's own shop, because his crew were pretty disgusted by him too.

The new regulation simply clarifies prosecution on something that was already illegal.

As an aside, one of the guys in my shop eventually got an article 15 and the boot, because his 'wife' (they were in the process of divorce) wrote some bad checks, knowing he would cover them. I never did learn if she knew he would get kicked out because of her actions.